If you will be traveling to see friends and family:
- Prepare your car for winter, and always keep an emergency kit in your car. Check it over before hitting the road.
- Get a good night’s sleep before traveling to avoid drowsy driving.
- Leave early and plan ahead for airport delays and heavy traffic. Have a plan if you need to detour or take another flight.
If you are staying in for the holidays:
- Make sure decorations are fire resistant, and never leave candles burning unattended.
- Replace light sets that have broken or cracked sockets, frayed or loose wires, and loose connections.
- Turn off lights and electronics when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Check and clean the fireplace and chimney every year before use.